The selection of nominees and awardees is based generally on a demonstration, and history, of one or more of the following criteria corresponding to the three GSA categories.
Prevention and Preparedness
- Played a critical role in preventing or preparing for future environmental emergencies through effective advocacy efforts;
- Demonstrated strong support to developing national and regional capacities to prevent and prepare for environmental emergencies;
- Manifested outstanding achievement in capacity-building missions for prevention and preparedness;
- Demonstrated effective development of education and training courses on environmental emergencies.
- Demonstrated exemplary leadership and/or substantial support in response to one or more environmental emergencies;
- Demonstrated outstanding results in coordinating response to one or more environmental emergencies;
- Proven record in building regional, national or community response capacities.
Environment and Humanitarian Actions
- Proven record in integrating environmental issues into decision-making and into the relevant stages/cycles of humanitarian response;
- Demonstrated marked improvement in consideration of environmental issues in humanitarian action based on lessons learned and best practices;
- Demonstrated effective leadership in awareness-raising on environmental issues in humanitarian action;
- Demonstrated creative solutions or innovations in the area of environment in humanitarian actions.