The mission of Green Cross International is to respond to the combined challenges of security, poverty and environmental degradation to ensure a sustainable and secure future. We seek solutions through dialogue, mediation and co-operation. To achieve this we:
- Promote legal, ethical and behavioural norms that ensure basic changes in the values, actions and attitudes of government, the private sector and civil society, necessary to develop a sustainable global community;
- Contribute to the prevention and resolution of conflicts arising from environmental degradation;
- Provide assistance to people affected by the environmental consequences of wars, conflicts and man made calamities.
The Green Cross International Charter, updated at our General Assembly held in 2010, states: “Life is precious. All forms of life have their own intrinsic value and share our planetary home in an interdependent community in which all parts are essential to the functioning of the whole. We have a moral and ethical obligation to preserve life in its integrity and maintain our planet’s health and security for present and future generations.
As the issues of climate change and environmental degradation bring about a much needed wake up call to modern society with the realization that the global challenges of security, poverty and the environment are intrinsically connected, Green Cross International will focus its activities on this critical nexus in the quest for a just, secure and sustainable future for humanity.”
Our areas of activity
We operate three initiatives under our Value Change programme:
- Education for Environmental Sustainability
- Promoting the values of the Earth Charter
- Organizing Earth Dialogues
Discover more about our Value Change programme
Preventing and resolving conflicts over natural resources
Green Cross works to prevent and resolve conflicts arising from environmental degradation and the growing demand for increasingly scarce natural resources with a focus on addressing the global water and energy challenges.
Addressing environmental consequences of wars, conflicts and man-made calamities
We actively support global and national campaigns to the safe and environmentally sound elimination of weapons of mass destruction and also mitigate the social, health and environmental impacts of conflicts, as well as nuclear, chemical, and biological contamination.