The launch of the Statement on “Action to Face the Urgent Realities of Climate Change” was staged on 18 June 2012 at the Rio+20 Exhibition Centre.
The Statement, released by the Climate Change Task Force, was also accompanied by a call on world leaders and delegates of Rio+20 to take action against climate change as a pre-condition to achieving progress towards sustainable economic and social development.
The Climate Change Task Force is convened by President Mikhail Gorbachev, and comprises scientists, economists, former heads of state, Nobel prize laureates as well as climate and sustainable development experts from developed and developing countries.
- Rajendra Pachauri, Chairperson Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (watch the video here)
- Alexander Likhotal, President, Green Cross International (GCI)
- Ashok Khosla, President, International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
- Bill Becker, Climate policy, Sustainable Development expert, Future We Want
- Martin Lees, Rector Emeritus, UN University for Peace, former UN Assistant Secretary-General for Science and Technology.
- Martha Delgado, Minister of Environment, Mexico City, representing Marcelo Ebrard, Mayor of Mexico City and Chair of the World Mayors Council on Climate Change
- Konrad Otto-Zimmermann, Secretary General, ICLEI, Local Governments for Sustainability
- Fabio Leite, Deputy Director representing Hamadoun Touré, Secretary-General, United Nations International Telecommunications Union
- Full programme for download (pdf)
- CCTF Statement on Action to Face the Urgent Realities of Climate Change
- CCTF press release
- CCTF website
- CCTF Appeal issued ahead of Rio+20
- ICLEI press release
Climate Change Task Force Experts Panel