On 25 June, GCI’s Cynthia Capitaine was invited by SIG (Services industriels de Genève) to turn on the “Jet d’Eau”.
This Geneva landmark was originally created as a way to release excess pressure in the hydraulic power network. At first, the jet was 30 metres high; in 1891, the City Council recognized its potential as a tourist attraction and rebuilt it at the end of the pier in Eaux-Vives, this time 90 metres high. Since 1951, the Jet d’Eau has stretched 140 metres into the sky, making it one of the largest water fountains in the world.
SIG is committed to sustainable development – 89 per cent of its energy comes from renewable sources (hydroelectricity, solar and biomass). In order to raise funds to support clean water projects in developing countries, SIG sells “Eau de Geneve” carafes.
This year, just like in 2013, Green Cross International will light the Jet d’Eau in green on 5-7 October to promote its International Conference for a Green and inclusive Economy.