Green Cross’s US arm, Global Green, has held its annual Green School Makeover Competition, which has been won by a school in Texas. The competition recognizes schools that promote energy efficiency, conserve water, reduce waste and educate children on recycling.
- Update facilities to allow for energy efficient upgrades.
- Reduce water usage and consumption by installing hands-free faucets in lavatories and collecting rainwater in barrels to be used for watering the school grounds.
- Initiate waste reduction tactics.
- Educate students on recycling.
- Four runner-up schools will each receive $2,500 towards their proposed sustainability upgrades.